RNLNAS Patch Netherland Naval Aviation 860 Squadron Crest Lynx
Click To Enlarge

RNLNAS Patch Netherland Naval Aviation 860 Squadron Crest Lynx

Price: $32.99
  • Free Shipping:
  • Item #: 1P 06NL 1NNA 01SQN 1CR 0860SQ 01
Availability: Out-of-Stock

RNLNAS Patch Netherlands Naval Aviation 860 Squadron Flying Suit Crest Patch 1980s Lynx De Kooy Naval Air Station embroidered on twill merrowed edge 121mm four and three quarters inches Diameter. 

Free Shipping 

Netherlands Naval Aviation Service Marine Luchtvaartdienst MLD is the naval aviation branch of the Royal Netherlands Navy. The main roles of the MLD were maritime patrol anti submarine warfare and SAR search and rescue.

860 Squadron was established under the British Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm in June 1943 at Donibrustle Scotland with Fairey Swordfish tasked with anti-submarine and Convoy protection and were deployed on Merchant Aircraft Carriers MACs mainly the Gadilla and Macome both converted Shell oil tankers. In May 1945 the Squadron returned to shore at RNAS Maydown Northern Ireland converted to Fairey Barracudas and relocated to RAF Fearn to prepare for joining the War on Japan.

With the end of the war the Barracudas were returned to the Fleet Air Arm and 860 Squadron re-equipped with Fairey Fireflys acquired by the Royal Netherlands Navy and deployed aboard aircraft carrier HNLMS Karel Doorman and sailed to the Dutch East Indies where the Squadron saw action dealing with the uprising in 1946-49.  Following the ending of hostilities the Squadron disbanded on 15 March 1950.

860 Squadron was reactivated on 15 July 1950 at Valkenburg NAS Netherlands equipped with Sea Furys and joined aircraft carrier HMLMS Karel Doorman and in 1957 converted to Sea Hawks the only jet fighter used by RNN. The Squadron was disbanded in 1964 when HMLMS Karel Doorman was re-tasked for anti-submarine warfare.

860 Squadron was reactivated at De Kooy NAS in October 1966 in the rotary wing role with Wasp helicopters for ships flights and was joined at De Kooy by 7 Squadron with both Squadrons upgrading to Lynx helicopters in 1976.

Helicopters of 860 Squadron and 7 Squadron stationed in De Kooy NAS and on ships and were known as the Helicopter Group while the other MLD Squadrons 320 and 321 Squadron equipped with fixed wing maritime patrol aircraft stationed at Valkenburg Naval Air Station NAS were known as the Airplane Group. This was formalized on 1 July 1977 when the Netherlands Naval Aviation Service MLD was split into two sections MARPAT Maritime Patrol controlling 320 and 321 Squadrons fixed wing Orion patrol aircraft while MARHELI Maritime Helicopters controlling 860 and 7 Squadrons.

In 2008 the Netherlands Naval Helicopters Group 860 and 7 Squadron were transferred with the RNLAF helicopter Squadrons to the newly formed Defence Helicopter Command DHC to bring all Dutch military helicopters under one single command at De Kooy NAS which was renamed De Kooy Maritime Air Station. 7 Squadron retained its training role while 860 Squadron was designated as DHCs Maritime Squadron with a large navy component providing SAR and anti-submarine Lynx Flights to Navy ships.

 

 

This patch dates from the 1980s

 

 

 

Reviews (0) Write a Review
No Reviews. Write a Review